Monday, April 14, 2008

mmmm.... broccoli!

I really love broccoli. It seems like most restaurants these days are obsessed with asparagus, but as far as my green veggies go, I would choose spinach, brussels sprouts, or green beans all before asparagus, and of course, broccoli... always, always broccoli.

Last week a bag of broccoli called my name at the market, but a single gal can only eat so many sides of broccoli. And I hate wasting food, and in an effort to use up the rest, today I remembered a glimmer of genius, and searched through the archives of Making Food, Eating Food until I found this.

Mine was tweaked just a tad-- it dropped 30 degrees last night so I was thinking a in more wintery strokes than Chanelle's-- I couldn't resist starting the pot with a smashed clove of garlic in a few driplets of olive oil, opted for some smokey gouda rather than parmesan, and I finished it with a smattering of my new alderwood-smoked sea salt from the Stonehouse Olive Oil Company. The result was a verdant, smokey bowl of I swear, comfort food- even though it is all vitamins and fiber and nutritional goodness. It was absolutely magnificent.


Ingredients:
a scant teaspoon of fruity olive oil
1 smashed garlic clove
about 3 C broccoli florets, trimmed of stems
enough vegetable broth and white wine
to just cover the broccoli, about 4 parts broth to 1 part wine
smoked gouda, finely grated
smoked sea salt
cracked pepper


Directions:
Heat the olive oil and garlic until fragrant. Add broccoli and liquid with a dash of salt and cover; cook on medium-high heat until the broccoli is fork-tender. Strain, reserve liquid, and put the broccoli in the food processor. Pulse in short bursts, adding the liquid in small batches until the soup reaches the desired consistency. Stir in about 1/4 C of cheese, and serve immediately, garnished with cracked pepper and a bit more cheese.

1 comment:

dw said...

Oh that sounds good! I will have to give it a try. I bought some broccoli recently and included it in tri colored pasta salad. It was mighty yummy and a good way to add a veggie. I recently made cauliflower-cheddar soup, the first creamed soup I tried to make, and it turned out rather well if I do say so myself!