Saturday, February 16, 2008

lemon spaghetti

My two readers know how much I love lemon, and do I have a doozy of a new recipe for you today! I've been on the road for 15 days, in a couple of cities that aren't very veg-friendly... so I feel like I've been eating cheese pizza and cheese quesadillas and nachos-hold-the-meat-what-do-you-mean-you-don't-have-any-beans all week. Bleh. My GI tract is NOT happy with me. So today I went to the market and brought back my not-a-plastic-bag full of fruits and veggies and those wonderful whole-wheat noodles, the kind that have 4g of fiber per serving.


Let me first talk a bit about Rachel Ray, whose recipe I adapted for this spaghetti. I have a love-hate relationship with her show. I hate her recipes because she uses so much meat; I love her recipes because they are so adaptable. I hate her because she's everywhere; I love her for not ever claiming to be a chef. I hate her show because she's such a dork; I love her show for not caring or pretending that she's not.

Anyway, I saw her make this lemon spaghetti last week, and even though her recipe has way more fat than I would make for an every-day basis, I rewound it and watched it again so I could be sure to tweak it into my own version like, the second I got home from my trip. Which I did. So, here is my version, which is healthier and results in less kitchen clean-up, and is very easy to make for 1, (or 3 or 4, depending on your needs).

A note on the less-kitchen-clean-up: I'm not sure who first introduced me to absorption pasta-- I think it was Chocolate & Zucchini-- but you have changed my life and I am forever grateful.


Ingredients (for the 1-person version):
a nice glug of olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large lemon
dash of hot red pepper flakes
1 serving of dried whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 C-ish of vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth or water if you like)
3-4 handfuls of your favorite dark, leafy green

salt & pepper, to season

Directions:
First, swirl some olive oil in a big skillet- preferably a flat one with high sides, in which the spaghetti can lay down flat. Smash and mince 2-3 cloves of garlic, and add it to the room-temperature oil with a healthy dash of hot pepper flakes (depending on your heat preference) and the zest of 1 lemon. Turn the stove on very low heat as to not brown your garlic.



Once the oil begins to bubble and release its yummy fragrance, throw in your dry spaghetti. Toss to coat the noodles well in the lemony-garlicky oil, and add enough broth or water (or a combination of the two) to barely cover the noodles. Let it bubble away, gently stirring, until the noodles are al dente and the broth absorbs. You will need to add liquid as it cooks to keep it from sticking to the pan. Toward the end of the cooking process, throw your greens on top and cover to wilt. Once the noodles and greens are to your desired texture, add the juice of your zested lemon and a little salt and pepper.

As a side note, that photo was taken with my new phone. Not too shabby, eh?

7 comments:

krysten said...

ok, first of all, that's a picture from your PHONE?! dang. my pics are so grainy you can barely make out shapes...

and then next, i am so excited to have five days with me and you and chanelle and all the food we can cook and order and eat! i will definitely be making this recipe this week, as i juiced about a bushel of lemons from a friend's lemon tree, and i even froze the zest from about a third of them (it's a giant freezer bag almost half full!). although i may have to settle for parsley as my leafy green, since you know i'm not HUGELY a fan of the others...

krysten said...

also, i was linked three, count'em, three, count 'em THREE times in this post!!

iamchanelle said...

YUM YUM YUM.
i pretty much need to make this immediately. for breakfast.


and welcome home!

(oh, and my link is bad...it's wordpress.)

krysten said...

i made it tonight! it was SO GOOD with parsley!! yum.

hello jamie: said...

hmmm, when I make the blogroll on your new site I'll think about updating you as well.

*wink*

krysten said...

i know, for real! I'M not even on it.....she's grown too famous for us,Jamie...

iamchanelle said...

oh, come ON. i'm just lazy, and haven't finished it, haha! and i haven't figured out how to get anything other than thumbnail pics on my newer posts, either.